An RSS (Really Simple Syndication) feed is a file in an XML-based text format that contains content and metadata. A website has to configure that content to publish it. Every time a website publishes new content, details about that content are automatically added to this RSS feed. RSS feeds are typically used to publish regularly updated information such as blogs, news, and job postings.
If you’re looking to post a specific portion of an RSS feed through NetSocial such as job postings for a specific location or category, you can create a filtered RSS job feed. We have additional information on how to do this here: https://helpme.haleymarketing.com/hc/en-us/articles/210696406-Create-a-filtered-RSS-jobs-feed.
To get your RSS feeds setup and posting through NetSocial, we have a few suggestions and tips. Here’s how to get started:
- Go to Content → Channels in the menu on the left.
- Select Create Channel in the upper right.
- Add a Label. This should be something unique, so you know what is being posted from this Channel. You can add additional notes under Description as well for internal reference.
- Choose whether you’d like this to be PRIVATE or PUBLIC in the upper right.
- If private, only whoever set up this channel can share from it. This channel will only appear as a subscription option for you. If you make a private channel in company view, any Admin/Editor can see that channel while in company view, since it is company owned. Add which accounts you’d like to share to under Sharing to My Accounts.
- If public, team members can subscribe to this channel and post to the social accounts they choose.
- Enter the RSS feed under Content Sources. You can configure how frequently you would like this feed checked. Note, this is not the same as post limit. Post limit is specific to only your channel subscription.
- Choose a Category if you’d like.
- Select Create Channel.
- You’ll need to go back into the channel to choose your channel settings.
Our suggestion is setting up a channel to Unlimited Posts and configuring your schedule time slots on the Social Accounts → Schedule page. When Unlimited Posts is initially ON when an RSS feed is added, NetSocial looks through the WHOLE RSS feed and schedules ALL the content in the feed including everything before the day you added this RSS feed. For example, if you want job postings from the week before to go out, you’ll need to set up Unlimited Posts. In the very first check, we parse everything in the feed up until the current date and time. After this first check, NetSocial only checks for NEW content each day so anything in the feed before that day, will never get scheduled again.
If you have any questions on this or need help setting up RSS feed in NetSocial, our Success team would be happy to help at firstname.lastname@example.org!